Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Honing my skills of failure

Lately, I have been taking stabs at lifestyle changes with great amounts of fail. It was only one year ago that I was in what may have been the best shape of my life. The last twelve months have been filled with a downward spiral of disgusting eating/living habits and little to no physical activity.
 
I am going to change this.

I need to change this.

Over the past couple of months I have tried to incorporate a healthier diet and increase my physically activity. The only thing that I have done with great success is substitute about 4-5 meals a week with juice. I have also increased my physical activity (riding)marginally however, I seem to have only gained weight. I am not saying that having juice and riding more is bad for me or not doing me good, I am simply just not doing it right.

I have tried to go on a 5 day juice fast with very little success. My issue is that my will power has decreased significantly. Every time that I do something healthy or good for me, I negate the act with fast food, ice cream and just pure laziness. I am ready to make the change, until I begin. After I start, I realize that I can just start it next week. So much like the Underpants Gnomes in South Park, here is my plan:

Step 1 - Start a blog
Step 2 -
Step 3 - 30+ lbs lighter and in great physical shape (and a 300+ FTP)

You might have noticed that Step 2 has been left blank. That is because I have no specific plan to get me from step 1 to step 3. In the past, I would just stop eating like shit and ride my bike like I am possessed. This time it is a bit different. I have a full time job and I am going to school full time. I have to find a way to incorporate healthy eating habits and possibly consider giving up meat, along with finding physical activities (other than cycling) to get me back into fighting shape.

I will document my eating habits via text and photo journals and activties every couple of days, cycling activities will be documented via Strava. I hope to make some big strides and hopefully motivate at least one other person to do the same along the way.

I will start by documenting the plank challenge that the wife and I are doing. So far we are on day 9 and we are up to the 45 second mark. The goal is to be able to plank for 300 seconds by day 30. I don't think that I am going to have much trouble with this challenge however, it is the perfect thing to get my feet wet and build my core in the process.

Pedal Faster

No comments:

Post a Comment